Friday 27 February 2009

The Grey Trap

Looking at a copy of the Epoch Times last week, with the Hypnosis illustration printed within, I cringed to notice that my work is edging towards the grey trap*. A dreaded place indeed.

Through experience I've learnt that to make an effective black and white illustration one needs to create an image of crisp, clear contrast so that it is bold and punchy. Just recently my weekly works have been using more and more areas of neutral grey tones (just look), which when printed can end up looking muddy and weak.

This narrow brush with the grey trap has put me on alert for forthcoming works.



I feel that this pic came close to being too heavily grey, but was just saved by the clean white used.

The wisdom of this awesome lady is worth taking note of.

*Not official terminology or Art speak :)

No comments: