Friday 11 September 2009

1984



I've finally finished this portrait commission which I've been harping on about to friends for quite a while now.



The moment I was given the photo to draw from I was rather excited by the 80s look of it. Being a child of the 80s myself, that era for me is full of memories of cartoons, toys and play. The recent retro trend in the fashion world hasn't sat too comfortably with me as I feel I don't connect with it in that way. I've never thought of the 80's as being a particularly attractive era either.



Strangely, now I'm presented with it as something to work from, I feel rather warm and fuzzy in response. There is something awfully comfortable looking about it all, and I think that's what I'm liking.



I got pretty nervous about handing this one over to the commissioner as it's their parents depicted. I wasn't present when they came over to collect it, but I'm told they were very pleased. Relief!

No comments: