Thursday 12 March 2009

Cynara



This weeks Epoch Times Poetry piece. Published 11/03/09.

A Reading of ‘Non Sum Qualis eram Bonae Sub Regno Cynarae' by Ernest Dowson

"Last night, ah, yesternight, betwixt her lips and mine
There fell thy shadow, Cynara! thy breath was shed
Upon my soul between the kisses and the wine;
And I was desolate and sick of an old passion,
Yea, I was desolate and bowed my head:
I have been faithful to thee, Cynara! in my fashion".

(Just the first stanza because it's a long'un).

Here's some rough designs, 3 of 8ish. The general image came to mind pretty much straight away as I read the poem. However it wasn't until I had sketched and sketched various compositions that I realised that the ghostly lady needed to be between the two lovers.







This one is based on Augustus Rodins famous 'The Kiss'. I was going to medernize the characters if I used it, but went off the idea after a while.

No comments: